Navigation bar
  Home View PDF document Start Previous page
 37 of 68 
Next page End 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  

morning the enemy was reinforced by two companies of machine gunners.  These were observed
by the first battalion on Hill 243 and the second battalion before the railroad almost
simultaneously.  That the capture of all was not effected may be said to have been due to the
enthusiasm of the average American doughboy.  As the columns of foemen marched up the
ravine in quickstep some observer for one of the companies of the first battalion let out a whoop
of delight and started firing.  The enemy scattered into the Woods quickly but not until
Lieutenant Harold H. Shear and a detachment from Company A had made a bayonet charge into
their ranks, which resulted in numerous captures.  The men of the second battalion who had
observed the advance and who were permitting the Germans to move forward until they could be
completely cut off from succor, took part in the firing, and later continued the process of
straightening out their line under the additional fire of the fresh German guns.  This project was a
success in spite of the many obstacles, and when the other two battalions went forward in the
afternoon their task had been made slightly easier. 
Now we may come back to the joint assault of the first and third battalions.  It is fitting to
speak first of the first battalion for the resistance the men of Major Morris’ four companies
encountered was exceedingly stiff.  Hill 321 – their objective – was literally sown with machine
guns and the crews were determined to fight to the death.  They were unafraid to die as some did
that afternoon at the point of the bayonet and by the side of their guns. 
We may take the conduct of Major Morris as an example of the manner in which every
officer and man in the battalion performed in that particular struggle.  The major placed himself
in the front of the battalion as soon as the advance started and maintained that position until the
hill was captured, although in the interim he had been hit by a machine gun bullet, the nose of
which protruded from the flesh of his back.  With the riding crop which he habitually carried he
stood up time and again when to do so seemed simply to invite death and pointed enemy
positions to the automatic riflemen in his command.  Inspired by such an example the men
fought tooth and nail for every machine gun, and at 2:15 had taken the hill and pushed on
And it was here that all of Company A was cited by the division commander.  The brave
captain of this company lost his life, so did Lieutenant George P. Cole and many enlisted men. 
Lieutenant Herald H. Shear was severely wounded.  Captain DeLario was wounded early in the
advance and forced to go to the accompanying surgeon for treatment.  While with them word
was brought him that Lieutenant Cole had been killed and Lieutenant Shear severely wounded
and that his company was without on officer.  He tore away from all who sought to restrain him
and ran forward to overtake the men, who were continuing the advance under the surviving non-
commissioned officers.  First Sergeant Fred R. Lindsey and been killed before the captain had
been wounded, and when all the officers were gone the command passed to Sergeant Robert J.
Moreland.  Just us Captain DeLario caught up with elements of his company be was instantly
killed by a machine gun bullet.
Company A remained under the command of Sergeant Moreland until some hours later
when Lieutenant Jesse F. Gray, first battalion gas officer, and Lieutenant Preston C. Northrup of
Headquarters company heard of the casualties to its three officers and volunteered to report to
Previous page Top Next page