Start Back Next End
"Lt Col Birdsong, 3rd Battalion CO and Headquarters crossed the river at 2330 hours in the
midst of a small arms engagement near the far shore, but at this time the bulk of enemy resistance was
being concentrated against the 1st Battalion.  All assault troops were across the river by now clearing
last bits of enemy resistance from beyond the East riverbank, and the 11th CT's attack was beginning to
take form as artillery liaison officers and forward observers were also across.  Armor of Company A,
737th Tank Battalion and the 803rd TD Battalion were preparing to cross on motor barges and render
direct support, along with amphibious tanks of the 748th Tank Battalion.  Despite the intense small arms
fire encountered by the 1st Battalion and some by the 3rd, it was evident that surprise had been achieved
in the operation for the German artillery reaction did not come until 0030 hours on the following day –
or two hours after the crossing had begun.  Assault companies prepared to strike inland at the time
enemy artillery commenced falling  into the river and hitting both banks ineffectually.  Approximately
50 rounds of shellfire, including that of self-propelled weapons, fell in the Oppenheim area, but crossing
of supplies and additional troops continued.  In Regimental reserve, 2nd Battalion was alerted and
prepared to cross near Nierstein, follow-up and consolidate ground taken by the 3rd Battalion.  The 10th
Infantry Regiment prepared to follow into the 1st Battalion's bridgehead opposite Oppenheim to take up
the Division's right sector.
"A Company of the 11th met with violent small arms fire as it sought to clear a group of
buildings along the bridgehead's right flank.  Some 20 prisoners were taken and  14 of the enemy were
killed.  In seizing the area 1st Lt Harry Kaylor, Executive Officer of D Company, evacuated wounded
back across the river under fire.
"At midnight troops of the 10th moved in columns down to the river and at 0155 hours, 23
March, the crossing of the Regiment began with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions following after the 1st
Battalion of the 11th at Oppenheim.  The 7th Engineer Battalion handled the assault boats.
Across the river the 10th Regiment moved immediately to this southern flank eastward toward
Leeshseim.  Companies A and C of the 1st Battalion made contact by 0245 hours and moved out to
breast toward Erfelden.  (1 2/3 miles SE Leesheim) Company C encountered some resistance from small
arms upon approaching the objective, but the enemy force was incapable of halting to the advance, and
the majority was soon taken prisoner.
"The last Battalion of the 10th Infantry was completely across by 0655 hours, and as the two
regimens fanned out along the eastern bank, the U.S. Navy brought up landing craft to the West Bank
can put them into the water.  Combat engineer battalions of the 1135th Engineer Group constructed for
ferries and began building the Treadway Bridge.  By 0700 hrs, the two regiments at all six battalions
across, one ferry was working in the Landing Crafts, Vehicle-Personnel were scuttling back and forth
carrying supplies.
"With all but sniper and some bypassed resistance broken in its bridgehead sector, the 1st
Battalion continued the attack inland and struck northeast toward Geinsheim, Division objective No.  1. 
The axis of advance was the main road leading to Geinsheim, and all assaulting platoons with B
Company on the left and  A on the right, moved forward abreast deployed as skirmishers. A Company
left its reserve platoon and Company CP in position at the farmhouse which it had previously cleared
while a similar contingent of B Company was yet engaged in rounding up outflanked resistance. 
Company  C in Battalion reserve also crossed the river.  The going became very rough as the assault
troops neared the road junction at about 1000 yards inland.  Heavy small arms engagements took place
and as units attained the road junction they emerged into a broad expanse of open terrain which afforded
no cover or concealment.  The advance continued along the main road for several yards when suddenly