Start Back Next End
"On 21 March 45, the Corps Signal Officer: Col Alfred H Anderson, notified the Battalion
Commander, Maj John M. Scanlon, that he should be prepared to provide communications circuits
across the Rhine River on short notice, that in all probability the assault crossing would be made within
the next few days. Capt Worner, Company Commander of C Company, was instructed to make a
reconnaissance of the river crossing site, if possible, and to recommend either an aerial or an underwater
crossing.  Lt Roy Riggs of C Company made the reconnaissance on the 22nd and talked to officers of
the 1135th Engineer Combat Group who were in charge of bridging and ferrying  preparations and made
arrangements for the use of a ferry at the earliest opportune moment.  On his return to the Company
from a reconnaissance Lt Riggs supervised the preparation of two Spiral-Four Cables for an underwater
crossing.  The two Spiral-Four cables were lashed to a heavy iron wire and, after a search of the
surrounding territory, some pieces of scrap iron to be used as waits for the cable were secured.  The
specially prepared cable was wrapped on a huge reel placed on a cable-carrying trailer.  The preparation
of a half-mile-length of the two Spiral-Foru cables was completed on the night of the 22nd. …"
One of the most interesting details of preparation by the Corps headquarters was the
unprecedented organization of a proposed reinforcement of the assault waves by transportation of a
battalion of infantry over the Rhine in "cub" airplanes.  This airborne "Operation Grasshopper" by what
the GIs called affectionately "puddle jumpers," "flying jeeps," or "Maytag Messerschmitts," was
coordinated and planned out on the ground by personnel of the XII Artillery Headquarters, principally
Col "Broad" Gott and Maj "Tommy" Haynes.  These energetic gentlemen actually succeeded by  book
or crook in assembling 90 of the little "coffee percolators," and having them present and ready to take
off, on the morning of the attack.  In spite of the dubious reception accorded it in some quarters, the
venture was no quixotic one: it had been successfully tested behind our lines the day before with an
infantry company, including its heavy weapons.  The proponents of the idea were convinced they could
have landed a full battalion in less than three hours, and were sadly disappointed when the waterborne
attack went so well that these extraordinary measures were considered unnecessary.  The project was
canceled at the last minute. …
Out in front of the Corps headquarters the decision as to when and where there River Rhine was
to be crossed was also striking those most concerned – the infantry themselves.
The 5th Infantry Division had been selected to undertake the assault, and no more authoritative
source for an account of the impact of that outfit could be found the entries in the personal diary loaned
the Corps historian Association by space to Gen S LeRoy Irwin, then Commanding General of the
"21 March 45. Clear and warm. … Gen Eddy called to meet him just south of Bad Kreuznach at
1030.  CP moved to Wendelsheim during morning, opening at 1400.  At meeting Gen Eddy directed that
we relieve 4th Armored in Oppenheim, and cross Rhine as soon as the operation can be set up.  Went to
11th Infantry Regiment CP and ordered relief of CCA in Oppenheim, which Col Black started
movement to accomplish at 1300.  Visited Gen Gaffey at his CP, and arranged relief of armor, as far as
could be done.  … Returned to CP about 1530 and met Gen Canine who gave me general plan for Third
Army.  We lead the crossing and establish the initial bridgehead to be followed by 89th Division... 90th
Division cleans up Mainz.  4th Armored is pulled back in reserve. Gen Eddy called about 1600 to say he
wanted patrolling before we attempt a crossing unless I consider it feasible without such reconnaissance. 
Held meeting of COs and staff to brief them on operation at 1600, and settled most details.  Plan is to
cross column of regiments in order 11th, 10th, 2nd (Infantry Regiments).  The earliest possible date is
tomorrow night, but think this 24 hours to soon. Gen Eddy had said he had not considered a crossing