Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Don
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  19:14:24  Show Profile
My Grandfather, Carl Hosler was in the 359th Co. C during the battle of the bulge. He died in 1996. He never really spoke much of the war until about a year or so before his death. I don't have any exact dates at this time of when some of these things happened (trying to figure this out through my Grandmother and letters. He told me of a time when his unit was working through a hedrow along side of a battle in progress when his sargent told him to look over the top of a ridge to see what was going on. He said that there was a "swarm of bees buzzing around his head". It didn't take long for him to realize that the "bees" were bullets flying past his head and it took a very short time for him to dig a foxhole that he could lay in! He also told me that there was a shelled out town they were going through when they found a cast iron tub. They got to stay there over night and they all got to get a long overdue bath. He has some money (a couple of bills and coins) that they found in a house (what was left of it). Also one time he was on guard duty one night when a Major came by and asked him for a light. He said yes and the Major chewed him out because he said that he could of been a german in captured clothing. Also, he told me that when they walked around during the day,and night for that matter, the trench coats they had would freeze at the bottom and it would be like walking in a bell. When they dug in at night they usually had two men to a foxhole. He would usually lay head to head with the other guy so they could talk and such. One night they dug in and they decided to sleep feet to feet. That night a mortar or a shell landed right on the outside edge of their foxhole. My Grandfather scooped up the other guy and ran yelling for a medic. He told me he didn't know if the other guy made it. He himself had very deep shrapnel wound to his legs. He had a jar full of the shrapnel they dug out of him and two threaded rods that the surgeons had in his ankles. I know he ended up on a hospital ship and sent back to the states. He arrived in New York and hitchhiked back to Pennsylvania. He had to wear special shoes the rest of his life because all of the surgery done to his one leg ended up making one leg shorter than the other. He also walked with a cane. I miss my Grandfather very much and wish he could have talked with me more about his experiences. I don't know if any of this might sound familiar to anyone, if it does I'd love to hear about it. He was a PFC. He was a replacement I'm pretty sure. His serial number was 33615610. Thanks to all of our vets!!!!

Donnie

Clyde
Assist Historian

184 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  13:30:47  Show Profile
Don - I have searched 8-9 months ( all reports from Nov/'44 thru April/'45) of 359/C morning reports but cannot locate your grandfather. Is there any chance he was in a different regiment and/or company? I've also sent you two direct e-mails, so I look forward to hearing from you.
Norm

Norm Richards, Assistant Historian 90th Division Asociation
Go to Top of Page

Don
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  15:44:06  Show Profile
Thanks Norm. Didn't receive your e-mail just yet. It may be 359th E Co. 3rd Platoon.

Donnie
Go to Top of Page

Clyde
Assist Historian

184 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  13:25:04  Show Profile
Don - Actually, the two direct e-mails were sent several days ago, right after reading your posting. Sent another direct messsage a minute ago. I'll check my reports for 359/E. What sort of info /documents do you have that indicate his unit?
Norm

Go to Top of Page

Don
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  07:33:32  Show Profile
Sorry Norm, I'm not receiving any of the e-mails that you're sending. I'm going to talk to my Grandmother to see if I can't get anymore details. Thanks again.

Donnie
Go to Top of Page

Clyde
Assist Historian

184 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  14:16:18  Show Profile
Don - Would you mind sending me a direct email and then I would have yours in my address book. Hopefully we can find some info for you and your family.
Thanks.
Norm

Go to Top of Page

Don
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2008 :  22:28:13  Show Profile
how do I get your e-mail address

Donnie
Go to Top of Page

Clyde
Assist Historian

184 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  14:56:17  Show Profile
Don - Clicking on my name "clyde" gives you my e-mail, but here it is
<nrichards2@juno.com>

Norm

Go to Top of Page

fathers
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2011 :  12:48:43  Show Profile
Don, my father was also in the 359th but he was with company "D" and was attached to transportation. It's a crying shame that most reports were lost in a fire in Oklaho City several decades ago. I too am looking for more information about my father. He was (and is) the only hero I've ever had. Not just because he was highly decorated in the service to his country but, he was the most loving, kind person. I only wish I could've learned a lot more about his time during WWII. I am still trying and probably always will try.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
90th Division Association, Inc. © 2013 90th Division Association - first posting 8/26/2004 Go To Top Of Page