Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gormanz
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  14:52:17  Show Profile

Lloyd Shuter, 86 years old of Lawrenceburg, IN, died Thursday, May 1, 2008 at Christ Hospital.

He was born Monday, January 9, 1922 in Mt. Sinai, IN, Son of the late Harry Shuter and the late Edna Kimball Shuter.

He was the beloved husband of Gladys Irene (Foster) Shuter for 63 years. He was the father of Donna Sue Bayer (Joseph) and David Lloyd (Deborah). He was the grandfather of Shelly (Doug) Gorman, TW Loring Jr., Matthew (Casey) Shuter and Joshua (Jill) Shuter. He was the great-grandfather of Shena Nicole and Rebecca Laura Grace Gorman.

He was WWII Veteran and a member of the 90th US Infantry Division, "Tough Ombres", Teamster, Lawrenceburg Legion, the NRA, the TBPA Association, Jack of All Trades and a Master of None, and an avid outdoorsman.

He worked as a Truck Driver for Bob Aikins/DCI where he was a loyal employee and friend for 60 years and 7 months.

Contributions may be made to the American Heart Association.

Pop Shuter will be remembered as a hardworking and modest man. He had simple needs. He was forthright and honest, a person with humble beginnings who placed a great value on faithfulness and friendship.

I will remember him as the only grandfather I ever knew. I will remember him as a man who was content with what life had given him. He never asked for much and in the years I knew him, he lived a very simple life. Perhaps this was a secret to his longevity and happiness.

Through his life he has always remained a practical man with simple needs.

My grandfather was a man who touched each of our lives in different ways: as a husband, as a father, as a grandfather, as a great-grandfather and as a friend.

I will remember him teaching me things I didn’t even know I was learning, but have made me the person I am today.

He was a man who held basic values of trust, honesty, integrity, and friendship. These are qualities that seem to lack in people today.

It is so difficult for me to understand the hardships endured by those who walked before us. Seldom do we recognize the sacrifices made for us. Hearing stories of my grandfather's life, I cannot imagine what it must have been like. Such a life is not lived without courage, determination, and perseverance. It's true that the battles and times we face now are different than those of the past, but we can always draw from the knowledge that we too can find inner strength during hard times just as he did.

So as we commemorate his life, we celebrate the legacy he has left us; the legacy to his family and his friends, a legacy that can live on in people that he has touched in one way or another. He has left us all of us history; A history of respect, integrity, work ethic and of pride. And now this history is in our hands to carry on where he has left off.

He will be greatly missed and always remembered.

Love your favorite granddaughter.

Shelly

dfoye
admin

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  20:26:57  Show Profile
Shelly,

I'm very sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing. I have spoken to him many times at the reunions and I'm very glad that I got to know him, even in a small way.

Member US Army Security Agency 1967-71

My father served in the 357th E Company.
Go to Top of Page

gormanz
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  12:17:47  Show Profile
This passage was read by his beloved son, David, at his funeral service.

Dad was of German heritage, from a family of farmers and educators in the Mt. Sini/Morres Hill area. Known as “Pop” by all family members, he was truly one in a million: “they broke the mold after him”- he is loved by all who knew him. He never knew a stranger; he was always jovial and quick to speak up, yet he never minced words when he had something on his mind. He truly loved his family and had significant presence with Donna and I and his Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren growing up, his example and involvement surly shaped us for who we are today.

Pop was a well-seasoned traveler who loved to vacation domestic and aboard while visiting family. Pop was a weekend worrier that very much enjoyed days afield locally hunting deer and rabbit, he really enjoyed fishing in the deep Canadian wilderness, we truly had great, great times. Besides Mom and his family, his life long career (over a million miles) of driving an 18 wheeler was definitely a labor of love for something he knew he wanted to do for a living at a very early age; even to the point of having a Baptism certificate fabricated so he could take his first over the road driving job, prior to his 21st birthday. Pop’s high school year book cited of him “that there probably was smarter men, but doubtful”, he had an uncommon “common sense” and an uncanny knowledge of historical facts. Pop had an internal drive and determination that anything he set his mind to, he could do it and that confidence was contagious to his family, friends and coworkers thru the years. He didn’t know the meaning of the word quit! If he said that he was going to do something you could count on it as good as done. He had a humble quite humility about himself and his accomplishments, but was ever so proud of his family’s accomplishments. Pop was the most unselfish giving people I’ve ever known, he made many sacrifices for the good of his family.

Pop was said to be like the Energizer Bunny, nothing could keep him down- not even being broad sided by a Train! Pop’s always said that he was going to live to 100 years old and drive most of them. He was 86 years young when called to drive the big rig in the sky with our Heavenly Father, they say that the good die young, and he was always young at heart for his age, he put a lot of younger men to shame with his work ethic. Pop would not want us to be sad today, he would want us to celebrate his life, the Man that he was. I am so proud to call this man my Dad and my best friend; He left an indelible mark and truly enriched the lives of so many he touched, he will sorely be missed by all, but never forgotten, he was one Tough Ombre

Edited by - gormanz on 07/14/2008 21:48:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
90th Division Association, Inc. © 2013 90th Division Association - first posting 8/26/2004 Go To Top Of Page