Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rocky
Major Contributor

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  00:39:10  Show Profile
My Great Uncle was Pvt Mike M. Martinez, 90th Division, 357th Regiment. I just now discovered that his grave marker is in the close up shot at the beginning of the movie Saving Private Ryan.

Its an emotional discovery, and i have just not done a little internet research on what took place.

God Bless,
Mark Darwin

Sharon Mudd Davis
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  10:42:30  Show Profile
My father was with the 90th Division and the 357th Regiment going thru his papers he mentioned Sept. 1944 that 3rd Squad Martinez, Mettles, Dehart, Ritch, Pickle and Cary. My father was section leader Sgt. Charles Mudd

Sharon Mudd Davis
Go to Top of Page

davidkvh
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  10:05:32  Show Profile  Send davidkvh an AOL message
Sharon -

Do you know which company of the 357th Infantry Regiment your father was assigned. My Great Uncle was in I company of the 357th.

David

David K. van Hoose
(Great Nephew of 1st Lt John J. Howard, 357th/Co I)

Edited by - davidkvh on 04/09/2007 10:07:29
Go to Top of Page

addison
Assistant Historian 90th Division Association

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  15:41:22  Show Profile
Sharon - The Martinez that you mention in Sept. 1944 as being in 3rd Squad would not be the Mike Martinez previously mentioned.....that Mike Martinez was in 357/B and KIA in early July. His cross, as well as Ray mcClure's ( 357/I) are both seen in the panning of crosses at the begnning of the movie Saving Private Ryan.
Norm Richards - 90th Div. Asst. Historian

Norm Richards (son of Clyde Richards 358/Co. D)
Go to Top of Page

Sharon Mudd Davis
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  17:31:25  Show Profile
357th Regiment 90th Division Second Platoon Company M. I was incorrect about the Martinez being that same the one my father mentioned was Samuel M. Martinez.
Go to Top of Page

comancheliz
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2013 :  00:38:29  Show Profile
My great Uncle is Mike M Martinez....my grandfather was his older brother.Same mike Martinez at the beginning of "Saving Privet Ryan" Mike and six friends all joined the army together...one of his friends happened to be his nephew that was the same age as he was. My understanding is that only 2 of the total 7 that joined came back home...his nephew being one of the two...Thank God...any info on my great Uncle Mike would be great, Any one in my family that would have known have all passed away. And the ones that might remember him were all very small when he passed so dont remember much at all.

Thank you so much for your time
God Bless all
Liz Minor
Go to Top of Page

Norm
Assistant Historian

160 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2013 :  20:01:15  Show Profile
Liz - Nice to see your message. This is Norm Richards, Asst. Historian for the 90th Div. and son of Clyde Richards who spent three years with the 90th/358/D.

I tried to locate Mark Darwin, who posted the first message regarding your uncle, for sometime without success.

Please e-mail me directly at <nrichards2@juno.com> as I have a few things pertaining to Mr. Martinez that I would like to send to you.

The other 357th veteran's cross that is shown in Saving Private Ryan is Ray McClure's...they are the only two headstones that are legible during the panning of the camera at the beginning of the movie.

Regards,
Norm

Go to Top of Page

comancheliz
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  19:08:31  Show Profile
I have come to this site and cried, I have come to this site and smiled, I have come to this site to learn and read, I come to this site so I can teach my children and grandchildren about an Uncle I was never able to meet, and I come to this site to never forget.

Thank you all for your service
Liz Minor
great niece of Mike M. Martinez
Go to Top of Page

comancheliz
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2014 :  00:40:03  Show Profile
These last few months have been filled with lots of information and reading about France and Normandy and the battles the 357 were in. So much to process.... So emotional for me and my family. Things we never knew about the way my great Uncle Pvt Mike M Martinez passed away. Thank you so much Norm for your help, information and contacts. The only thing missing are some pictures. If any one has a picture of my uncle and would kindly share it with me???? Thank you Thank you. I am turning 47 this year and have never seen a picture of my uncle. All of my uncles siblings are now passed away and as we all know family's get busy and grow apart. I would not know who to ask or even who would have a picture of my uncle Mike. Any one who can help fill in that gap for me please?
Thank you all so very much
Liz Minor
great niece of Pvt Mike M Martinez 357/B
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
90th Division Association, Inc. © 2013 90th Division Association - first posting 8/26/2004 Go To Top Of Page