Harold Choate 358/A
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clyde
Assist Historian

184 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2009 :  18:32:00  Show Profile
Harold passed away on September 22, 2009. Harold was a kind, thoughtful, and humble person. He was a great friend, who I met at the Charlotte Reunion in 2000 when we were assigned seats next to each other at the Saturday night banquet.
Harold went with my tour group to Normandy and the Moselle area in 2007. With a cane in hand, Harold walked the entire lengthy, hilly slope of Ft. Koenigsmacher. He wanted to stand on top of the fort as he had during the battle there on November 10, 1944, where he lost his great friend, Sgt. Caspar Almli.
Several days later, our group visited St. Avold Cemetery, where Mr. Almli had been interred since 1944. I'll never forget Harold's reaction when he said "Well, Norm, let's go see Cappy." He nearly collapsed from the emotions he was experiencing to visit his buddy sixty three years after seeing him killed.
Harold was wounded in July during the battle at Hill 122 and again after crossing the Saar.
He was the epitome of patience when we arrived at the airport security gate to board a connecting flight after returning from the tour.
It seems the schrapnel he still had in his leg from those wounds in 1944 set off the metal detectors, so he was told to take his shoes off and go thru a body search. I was upset about doing that to a twice wounded, 83 yr. old veteran who was walking with a cane, but Harold was cool, calm and collected, unlike me.
I'll miss him dearly.

Norm Richards, Assistant Historian 90th Division Asociation

Edited by - Clyde on 09/23/2009 13:42:16
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
90th Division Association, Inc. © 2013 90th Division Association - first posting 8/26/2004 Go To Top Of Page