Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

G2Hickey
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2013 :  10:41:14  Show Profile
Maurice "Pete" Henrichsen -- a member of Cannon Co, 358th Infantry --was killed 16 January 1945 in Luxembourg. Just this month I found a Nazi banner (inside a 105mm Howitzer m130 canister) in a trunk in an upstairs closet at my deceased mother's house. My mom was Pete's widow.

The banner is about 40 inches wide and 12 feet long, made of red cotton with a black-and-white swastika in the center. It was designed to hang vertically. On the banner was written "Cannon Co, 358th Infantry, 90th Division." Eighty-two men signed their names, some including their hometowns. So far, I've been unable to find any of the men still alive.

I assume the banner was pulled down in a village that was liberated about the time of Pete's death and sent to his widow in South Dakota as a tribute to him. Can anyone confirm this practice?

My mother never spoke of the banner. It had probably been in the trunk for 68 years.

A couple years after the war ended, Mom married Pete's brother, George Henrichsen, who'd been held as a Prisoner of War at Stalag VIIA for the last nine months of WWII. Dad died in 1989.

I will appreciate any information about Nazi banners and/or Cannon Co, 358th Infantry.

Georgetta "Gigi" Henrichsen Hickey
Wayzata, MN

Tristan
Contributor Par Excellance

France
253 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  16:51:51  Show Profile
Hello Georgetta,
thanks for your message. Perhaps you could try to scan the banner and upload a few pictures online, so that association member may see it and read some names ?
As to Canon Coy 358th Inf., you will have to contact the two historians of the association.

Yours sincerely,
Tristan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
90th Division Association, Inc. © 2013 90th Division Association - first posting 8/26/2004 Go To Top Of Page