Sampson B. Brashear 90th Inf Div KIA 1918 WWI
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lowe42
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  13:48:49  Show Profile
Second Lieutenant Sampson B. Brashear, born 1878 in Viper, Perry County, Kentucky, served in the United States Army, Company A, 358th Infantry Regiment, 90th Infantry Division and was Killed In Action in France in the Battle of Argonne on 24 October 1918 in World War I.

Sampson was the son of Elizabeth Pratt (1852-1924) and James N. Brashear, Jr. (1835-1920), (Co B, 13th Kentucky Cavalry Regiment, CSA), who was the son of James N. Brashear Sr. (1800-1865) and Elizabeth ‘Bet’ Young (1808-1902), who were my maternal 3rd great-grandparents. Our Brashear progenitor was French Huguenot, Benjamin Brashear, who migrated to Virginia and moved on to Maryland.

Sampson’s name was misspelled in the book, History of the 90th Infantry Division in World War I by Major George Wythe, Division Historian. He was on the casualty list page as Samson B. Brasher, KIA 24 October 1918. The chapter, 90th Division Enters Line October 21-22, Rear Areas Shelled, Section 8, detailed his death: “On October 25, when the battalion was moving to the northern edge of the Bois des Rappes to support the 3rd Battalion more closely, a shell dropped directly in front of Lieutenant Samson B. Brasher, Company A, killing him and his orderly, Private James F. Matlock.”

Sampson was buried in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, Plot A Row 17 Grave 14 located at Romagne-sous-Montfaucon, Lorraine, France. A photograph of his military headstone can be viewed on findagrave memorial #55957225.

Sampson’s 2nd cousin once removed, Limuel Brashear (c1925-1944) was the son of Henry Brashear and Bessie Pridemore. Seaman First Class Limuel Brashear of Viper, Perry County, Kentucky, served in the U. S. Navy, as a crew member of the Dan Beard, American Steam Merchant. Limuel became MIA/Lost At Sea on 10 December 1944, when the ship was torpedoed by an enemy U-Boat in World War II.

Sampson Brashear in World War I and my father in World War II served in the 90th Infantry Division in France and made the ultimate sacrifice. Considering his hometown to be Kodak, Perry County, Kentucky, my father, Technical/Sergeant Albert R. Lowe of Company G, 1st Platoon Sergeant, 2nd Battalion, 359th Infantry Regiment, 90th Infantry ‘Tough Ombres’ Division was Killed in Action in France on 16 September 1944.

[/font=Times New Roman]
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
90th Division Association, Inc. © 2013 90th Division Association - first posting 8/26/2004 Go To Top Of Page